Fairisle kittens and stripes on a scarf! I'm kind of obsessed. If you're still working on perfecting your colorwork skills (like me,) you have to see Martin Storey's newest collection using Rowan Felted Tweed DK. It's called 'Easy Fairisle Knits' and it's a ton of fun.
Fairisle is everywhere this season and I'm convinced that this scarf is the perfect accessory.
And check out the rest of Martin's contemporary simplified fairisle designs. This collection includes 14 designs – hats, socks, scarves, cushions, a slipover, bag, throw and garland – all with only two colors in a row.
If you're new to the world of Felted Tweed, I'll let you in on a few details. First of all, this yarn is available in 28 perfect shades (and you will love them all.) Second, these adorable little balls of merino/alpaca/viscose are the perfect yarn for colorwork. You'll want to collect them all because the color combinations are endless. Truly. Third, this yarn is lightly pre-felted which knits up into a gorgeous fabric that's light yet warm, but also looks a tiny bit felted. Felted Tweed is a favorite amongst knitters for a reason and the projects in 'Easy Fairisle Knits' are the perfect way to give it a try.
Welcome to my stop on the Blue Sky Alpacas EXTRA blog tour! The lovely people at Blue Sky Alpacas recently sent me a hank of their brand new EXTRA yarn along with a pattern from their Destination Collection. Check out the video below to see why this new yarn and pattern collection are so special.
EXTRA is a lovely and lush mix of 55% baby alpaca and 45% fine merino wool. It comes in a generously sized hank (218 yards) and is available in 14 colors. It's a versatile Aran weight that is light and lofty and incredibly soft. You will love knitting with this yarn – I promise.
The Destination Collection is inspired by hometowns, far-away places and everywhere in between. The accessories in this collections were created by top Blue Sky Alpacas designers from all over the world.
The gorgeous pattern I have been working on is the Fractal Cowl by Kirsten Johnstone. Each pattern in the Destination Collection has been designed exclusively for EXTRA and each pattern has a story. And I have to say, Blue Sky has done a wonderful job with the design and packaging of their printed patterns! I just love how this folds out into a full page of photos and pattern instructions with a full-sized chart on the back, and then folds right back up into a sturdy little envelope that's easy to throw into your bag.
The construction of this cowl is genius. The unique cabled design is inspired by the cutting-edge architecture of Australia, where designer Kirsten is from. Every round is different, and it's knitted (with ease) in stockinette. Then you flip it inside-out to see the geometric design. Brilliant! I've just started working on mine, but it's already been a super enjoyable knit.
- A gorgeous skein of Blue Sky Alpaca EXTRA yarn in the 'Lake Ice' colorway
- The Fractal Cowl pattern by Kirsten Johnstone
- An adorable Pretty Cheep Project Bag
- Giveaway is open to U.S. residents only
- Giveaway is open until Saturday, October 25, 2014 at 11:30 PM CST.
- Comments must include a valid email address or Ravelry ID so I can contact you if you are the winner.
- Winner will be chosen via random number generator and will be contacted within 48 hours after giveaway ends.
HOW TO ENTER
A big thank you to Blue Sky Alpacas for the opportunity to be a part of the fun!
Be sure to check out the rest of the stops on the EXTRA blog tour:
Week One: Cosmos and Cashmere
Week Two: Woolen Diversions
Week Three: Lattes & Llamas
Week Four: Rock + Purl
Week Five: HeyJenRenee
Week Six: Miso Crafty Knits
- Devastatingly good lunch catered by Tacopocalypse.
- Lots of uninterrupted time to knit + crochet, perfect for finishing up that big project you've been wanting to work on.
- Relaxed, laid-back atmosphere. Wear your hand-knits and your sweatpants. We don't mind.
- We'll be knitting and crocheting in the beautiful Walnut Woods Lodge. Have you seen the leaves starting to change colors this week? It's gonna be gorgeous out there.
- T-shirts! Cat t-shirts. T-shirts with cats on them.
- Photos with friends. Taken by our very talented photographer friend, Bethany.
- Fun times with friends.
- Knitting and crochet show and tell. Show off the coolest things you've ever made! Bring your stuff. We want to see it.
- Our friend Robyn, author of the blog She Makes Hats is joining us again this year and will read an excerpt from her recently released book. She is also in the midst of a charity hat knit along for kids living below the poverty line and we are encouraging everyone to participate. She has even created patterns that you can use and there will be a retreat special giveaway! You can find all the details here!
- Stashbust. Hey hoarders: bring yarn that you want to trade/get ride of. Leftovers will be donated.
- Mimosas. And cupcakes. And BYOB, if you wish.
- After-hours shopping and wine at Hill Vintage & Knits in the East Village.
- Hotel slumber party + late night knitting with your friends. (With optional midnight snacks at Fong's.)
- Fantastically cool door prizes. So many giveaways. From these wonderful sponsors: Blue Sky Alpacas, Knitter's Pride, Feel Good Yarn Company/Silverspun, Lavishea, Manos del Uruguay, Spud & Chloë, Green Mountain Spinnery, Bijou Basin Ranch, Mari Knits, Zealana, Mountain Meadow Wool Mill, Eucalan, Louet and Red Barn Yarn. (Yeah, whoa!)
- Just look at how much fun we had last year.
You seriously won't want to miss out. Sign up here, right now. You can register for one day or the whole weekend. It's up to you.
I really hope to see you there!
I really hope to see you there!